Well, after quite a busy week last week with Little Sister's ear tube surgery, we expected this weekend to be a busy but fun one. Saturday went off without a hitch during the day at least. Big Sister marched in the ISU homecoming parade (march=daddy pulled in the wagon in parade) in her Nutcracker costume, then had Nutcracker practice. Then in the evening it was time to head to Pontiac and celebrate our family Christmas. Why do we celebrate in Oct you may ask? Our grandparents are snowbirds and getting ready to head to TX so we had one mini Christmas before they leave. Little Sis was fussy the entire day including while we were in Pontiac so Daddy decided to take her home and leave Big sister and me to ride home with my mom later so we could still enjoy the night. Thank goodness they did leave as we had no clue what was about to happen.
At about 10pm, Little Sis was asleep in her crib and Daddy was just in the family room watching TV when a big boom shook the entire house (interesting that something as minor as gas wakes Little Sis up but the house being rammed by a car did not). Anyhow, Daddy runs out immediately and a car with it's entire front bumper off is trying to drive off and flee the scene. He stops them and calls 911. Police and fire trucks arrived very quickly. At this point Daddy calls me and asks how close to home we were (at this point Big Sister and me were with my mom headed home). He was like "brace yourself when you turn onto our street....our house was hit by a car." Good thing for the warning. I'm too young to have a heart attack.
This car with a male and female in their 50s had been partying at the house across the street all night celebrating the Indian Festival of Lights holiday (I don't remember the formal name). Believe it or not they passed the sobriety test. It seems the guy was showing off his Mercedes. Granted we are not even on a busy road or even on a corner. It is a total head scratcher really and quite a random happening. They hit the corner where our garage and bricks are so we have a garage dented in, tons of bricks down. We don't even have a house number anymore since it was engraved in the bricks and all collapsed. Insulation is hanging out of the house, etc.
I am thankful no one was hurt. In our neighborhood people go on walks all the time, even at night, so it is a good thing no one was out. I'm also thankful Daddy was home since the people acted like they were going to drive away. I'm also really glad Big Sister wasn't home because her room is a loft room that sits right above the garage and she would have been asleep and felt it more than anyone. Also if I had been home without Daddy I would have literally thought the world was ending and ran for cover (instead of the logical thing which was to run outside). Another benefit is that they did have active auto insurance so we won't have our homeowner's policy dinged in any way. Also we realized how wonderful our friends in this neighborhood specifically are. We had one friend who went to the grocery and got us some staples, another who lent us some baby motrin since Little Sis was up crying the rest of that night with a fever, and also brought us some delicious pumpkin bread. Neighbors offered to help us clean up the mess, etc. Also, my dad, brother in law, and one of our neighbors came over immediately to help move the debri that night and then the next day.
So yesterday (Sunday), which happened to be Daddy's birthday, we celebrated by calling insurance companies, having a boarding service come put a temporary support beam to hold that side of the house from slipping, and calling the builder to let them know to start on this process first thing Monday morning. Another main thing we needed to accomplish yesterday was freeing our vehicles, trapped in the dented 2 car garage. My dad's friend owns an autobody so they got these hoists (sorry Dad for a lack of a better term) and got both cars lifted and put on wheels to wheel them to the 3rd car garage and get them free. Whew, at least we have vehicles again and aren't trapped!
I have no clue the total damages price wise or how long it will fix as we're too early in this process. I do know we have become known in the neighborhood as the people who got their house hit by a car! Also I was crying to my bro in law on Sat "how will the pizza man even know how to find us....we don't even have a house number". He laughed and said "tell em it is the oh crap I'm glad that didn't happen to me house". I chuckled because he had a point...I think our house is far more recognizable now even without a house number!
I am beginning to think Murphy's Law really likes our family. They say you cannot have two colicky babies...."they" lie. Most people would say a house cannot be hit by a car by sober people in their 50s. Again, a misnomer. But it has made for some funny memories now....well the humor may set in more tomorrow or in another week or month. Oh and I did take Daddy out to dinner to celebrate his birthday last night after we put the girls down and my mom came to watch them. I of course told the waiter "It is my husband's birthday" He said "oh great we'll bring you dessert--I hope you had a great day". I then told him "actually...our house was hit by a car last night." He smiled and said "oh we give free desserts for that too":)
Here's to a better week!!!!
Welcome to the blogging world! I love it. Although I now am quite obviously also addicted to facebook! :) So sorry about the whole house/car mishap, but thankful nobody was hurt. Your girls are adorable! Corinne is getting so big!
ReplyDelete