Monday, October 25, 2010

A Morning from Hell at the Dept of Health

No one looks forward to their children having to get shots. As a parent, most of us would so much rather take the shots for our kids than seeing them fearful and in pain. It is just one very yucky thing about parenthood. But I must say, the infant shots are much easier to handle than the Kindergarten shots, because the 4-5 year old child understands exactly what is going to take place, so the fear factor is involved as well.


I had been dreading this day for a few weeks now because both Big Sis (who is 4 ½) and Little Sis (21 months) were scheduled for their shots. Daddy and I had decided since they would get their flu shots in October, we may as well get the rest of the shots they needed then too, rather than waiting until Spring to get Big Sis’ Kindergarten shots. Initially we wanted to get half of Big Sis’ shots today and wait to do the other half right before she entered Kindergarten. However, this time, with her being as fearful as she was, we wanted to lessen the drama by doing it all at once. That went completely against my initial urge to split these shots up, especially because she needed some of the “biggies” like MMR, Hib, and polio.

Since our insurance does not include vaccine coverage, we have always gone to the county health to have these administered. That makes the shots affordable since at the doctor's office they can run over $100 a pop. Thus far, we had not experienced any issues with the county health dept. We have always gotten the shots Little Sis needed and the people who work there seemed thorough enough. But today was an entirely different experience altogether.

The process at the health dept is you leave your name up front so they know you are there for your appointment. A nurse then calls you back to a room to go over the child’s medical history, ask pertinent questions, discuss which shots they’ll be getting, provide education on side effects, and collect payment for the services. A nurse called our names very quickly today after checking in and my husband decided to sit with  the girls while I went with the nurse to handle the paperwork.  The nurse who took me back must have been newer since I had never seen her before.  Big Sis had never been to the health dept for shots before because we lived in Arizona the last time she received shots (when she was 18 months old) but Little Sis had been there since she received her first set at 2 months old.

After I first sat down, in the nurse's station, the newer nurse, AJ, had a chart at the desk in front of us and let me know it was Big Sis' chart and were "reminding me" what shots she had received at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc. I cut them off and told them she had never been to the Dept of Health before, and in fact, had never had any shots in Illinois at all, except for the seasonal flu vaccine, since we lived in Arizona when she was an infant. The two nurses acted as though I didn’t know what I was talking about and again insisted “we have her chart right here” and continued to go over the mistaken chart, insisting it was hers, and acting as though I was losing my marbles.

At this point, I was starting to get angry. This just shouldn’t happen.  Just last week our pediatrian’s office had called me, letting me know they had my oldest daughter’s “test results.” I was completely confused and came to learn that they were disclosing the test results of another patient, with the exact same first and last name! Huge huge huge violation of privacy, HIPPA, etc. Ironically, today, the exact same thing was happening. The odd thing is Big Sis doesn't even have a super common first name. 

When I finally got through to the nurses and they took me seriously, the realized they had made an error and needed to open a new chart for Big Sis, since this was her first time there. I was sure to let them know how unprofessional and unacceptable this error was. They should always check date of birth, social security, address, SOMETHING to verify they are talking about the right patient with the right person.

After we moved past the wrong chart tobacle, we started to talk about the shots Big Sis would receive that day. I wanted to ensure it was okay to give her all of the Kindergarten shots on the same day since it was quite a few. I asked the newer, younger nurse “So is it okay to combine all of these. You haven’t noticed any huge side effects.” And she responds “it is totally fine and what people typically do.”

Then we went over the flu vaccine, which is always one of the shots that I have a high amount of worry about due to the thimerisol. For detailed information on why I have the "concerns" I do refer to my previous blog

“Is the thimerisol-free version available” I asked the nurse, A.J. She looks unsure, but the more seasoned nurse standing behind her heard us and responded “We only have thimerisol-free shots for ages 3 and under. Since she is 4 she can get the shot which does have a small amount of thimerisol or she can get the nasal vaccine which is a live vaccine but thimerisol free.” That was not the answer I wanted to hear. I did not want the live vaccine but I’d rather have that than the one with thimerisol. So I questioned again “so there’s no way at all I can get her the same one the children under 3 get?” Are these available for kids over 3 anywhere, or are all the doctors' offices giving the nose spray too?”

The more seasoned nurse, Sue, asked “are you worried about side effects like fevers and rashes?” I responded “no, no, not at all.” Sue then inquired “Does your child have asthma or is she on a steroid of some type where her immune system is compromised?” I again responded, “no, she is 100% healthy, it is nothing like that.”

At this point the younger nurse, AJ, looked like she was getting frustrated.  “What exactly is your issue then? What are you afraid is going to happen?” she asked. 

I paused. I knew what my opinions were on vaccines (again, refer to my previous blog for more detailed information on my opinions) but I also knew the opinion of almost all medical professionals. I didn’t want to get into semantics with them. I had done my own research and knew there was a lot that none of us—not myself or these nurses—knew with absolute certainty regarding vaccines.  

AJ looked annoyed and was looking at me, waiting for a response. Finally I said calmly, “I really don’t want to get into my opinion on vaccines but the short answer is the link between thimerisol and autism.”

She smiled really big and said, sarcastically, “well we can thank Dr. Wakefield for that. Causing mass hysteria even though all of his research has been disproven and he lied and is totally not credible.” She had lost me. I didn’t even know who Dr. Wakefield was. She then started writing documenting more information on the girls' charts while almost mocking me, “It is so interesting how many people have fallen for Dr. Wakefield’s false findings.” You could tell she was baiting me.

At this point I was becoming increasingly aggitated. I felt violated. I was at a public healthcare facility to get my girls their necessary vaccinations. I had been badgered into giving this woman a hint of information regarding why I had the concerns, just to be followed by mockery and sarcasm.  

“I don’t even know who Dr. Wakefield is and am not familiar with his studies,” I told her. “I have done my own research.” Again, AJ chuckled, mockingly, “So you’re saying you’ve read actual medical journals that say ‘vaccines cause autism.’”

Urrr….I knew this was going to go in a bad direction. Why did she back me into a corner and force me to say what my “fear” or “issue” was with the thimerisol in the first place!!!

I try to keep my cool. “I have not read medical journals but…”

She cuts me off “oh so you’ve googled it? I’d be careful what you read from things you google.”

At this point I was mad. She was belittling me. I was hot, angry and just about ready to blow up. It was almost like I was in a cloud, floating above the situation, and COULD NOT BELIEVE it was taking place. Right in front of the seasoned nurse. In a public health care facility. I was being FORCED to believe a certain way or mocked for having my own opinion, which I might add, she didn’t even bother to find out exactly what my opinion was!

I responded “It is not from google research. I have read books written by doctors” (which is indeed true...spent many afternoons in the library picking up books...one that really enlightened me was What Your Doctor May Not Tell you about Children's Vaccinations, which was written by a medical doctor.) I didn't bother to share with her the titles of books I had read. She was on a mission and nothing good could come of it. Again she says, attackingly and with the same repeated statement, “Oh so you’re saying you’ve read medical journals where it says that vaccines cause autism.”

I respond “I’m not saying that….you know what….I feel as though you are attacking me! I do not have to defend my position to you. I just want to finish the paperwork so my girls can get the shots and we can go.”

She says under her breath, while looking down at the paperwork, and filling it out, “that’s fine, we can finish your paperwork, but I’d just be very careful what you read. 

She looks up and asks me, "Does your pediatrician think your children should be vaccinated?” I respond “Of course she does.” AJ responds “So you’re going to believe what you read on google over your own daughters’ pediatrician?” I again insisted “I don’t want to talk about this with you anymore. I want to finish the paperwork and get their shots.” But she goes on “You know, so many people choose not to vaccinate and it aggravates me because they get their information from unreliable sources and then it puts all the other children who have chosen to be vaccinated at risk.”

I ask her “First of all, who is saying we are not choosing to vaccinate…I’m here aren’t I? Secondly, how does it put other children at risk if they’re vaccinated?” She responds very angrily, “My son cannot be vaccinated yet, he’s not old enough!”

At this point, I was not going to be able to have any further conversation with this woman. She was on a tangent and was going to force me into agreeing with her or continue on her soapbox that I am wrong, although, she didn’t even know what my opinion was exactly! I had had enough.

I tell her, “I need to work with someone else at this point. Is there someone else I can work with?” A.J. answered “no, everyone else is busy.” I again pressured, “I really need to find someone else I can work with to get these shots done and get out of here. My husband is about to be late for work.”

The other nurse, Sue, then walks in and A.J. tells her, again in a mocking way, “Is there anyone else who can work with her….she’s mad because she thinks vaccines cause autism and I’m just telling her the facts.”  Sue obliges to work with me and she was (thankfully) extremely professional and apologetic for what I had just experienced.

I’m still in shock this happened. In this country? To be that highly pressured by a health care professional to think a certain way? How completely inappropriate and unprofessional. A public health care setting should be set up so that questions are welcomed. The health care professionals there should be able to provide you with the facts and if there is something they’re unsure of, admit that “I just don’t know.” It should not be a place for heated debate on topics that no one knows the “for sure” answers to. It certainly shouldn't be a place for feeling strong-armed into sharing your opinion, or made to feel badly for what your opinion is. 

My husband and I will be taking the necessary steps with this situation, starting with speaking with the supervisor at the health care facility. We want to ensure that no one, including ourselves, experiences this type of situation again.

1 comment:

  1. Regardless the possible negative reactions of vaccines, AJ is totally unprofessional. Her behavior as a nurse is unacceptable at all. If I were you, I will not talk to her and file compliant to her right a way.

    I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete