Thursday, September 9, 2010

1st Day of the Last Year of Preschool

Gabrielle was like a veteran yesterday, preparing for her first day of her last year of preschool. She knew not to argue with Mama when I asked her to pose by the picture table, proudly wearing her backpack. This year though, Sissy was in the picture with her. And Sissy had to wear a backpack too, of course.



Dropping she and her buddy, Ben, off at school went through without a hitch. Both hung their bags right next to one another's and went to say hi to their teachers. They seemed like pros! I try not to make a "big production" out of goodbyes, because that just gives her the idea she has a choice in the matter. So a quick kiss and "hope you have a great first day honey" will do. Her response was "Mama, I feel the butterflies fluttering in my tummy." I assured her that was normal and she'd make lot of friends that day because she's a sweetie. That was that...I left my pumpkin and already couldn't wait to hear the stories from her adventures afterward.

After school, she said she had fun but "two things were not good Mama." When I asked her what they were she responded with, "first of all, the boys on the playground pretended to be monsters and chased me." I told her that is what little boys do and it is their job. She let me know "they were meanies." Classic Junie B. Jones answer. The second thing that was "not good" I would have never guessed. "Mama, when we all took a potty break, I choose a potty without toilet paper and so I had to dribble all over and not even wipe." I had to explain to her that you just ask the kid in the stall next to you to kindly hand over some TP but that was just confusing to her. "Mama, my arms are not long and could never reach under so I'd still have to dribble if I got off the potty." As my mother in law would say, "that girl, she's a thinker!"

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of G and Ben. Hope you don't mind that I steal it!! :)

    ReplyDelete