Sunday, September 18, 2011

Just a touch of pixie dust

The girls are at a tough age for getting along. As much as I want them to go skipping together, picking daisies, hand-in-hand, with BFF necklaces on, everywhere we go...Little Sis is a bruiser and loves to mess up anything Big Sis is doing. Big Sis is as OCD as kiddos come and when she gets an idea and needs to carry it out, she can't seem to control her emotions in order to bring it to fruition.

But little moments like we experienced on Saturday make me sigh and realize just how rewarding motherhood can be. I had just made the girls some lunch and we sat down to eat, with the back door open and the crisp fall air and sunlight streaming in. I was honestly soaking in the peace for a moment, which was a refreshing change from the weekly rat race. Ahhh...thank you weekend for arriving and thank you fall weather for finally making your appearance.

A few bites into lunch, Big Sis noticed a speck of dust floating in the air and pointed at it. "What's that Mama?" She asked. I was thinking...not sure how to explain that these tiny figments of dust can sometimes be seen in just the right light, especially with the door open, etc. So I opted to go a completely different route.

"What are you talking about Sweetie...I don't see a thing."

Her eyes got big and she responded, “RIGHT THERE Mama! How can you not see this? There it is again (pointing)! And there (pointing again)!"

"Honey...are you sure? I just don't see it. Do you think it could be something magical that only kids can see...or maybe your imagination is just..."

"Mommy! Oh my goodness...you don't think it could be....a fairy?" (The child is COMPLETELY serious at this point and I knew all it would take was a tiny prompt.)

"Well, I don't know Honey...do you believe in fairies?"

"I DO Mommy...there it is again!” She paused, and looked straight at the speck, “What's that? What did you say?” She continues on talking to the speck, “Is it YOU Tink?” “Mama, now I see TWO specks...it must mean Tinkerbell AND Terrance are here."

This interaction, which she was completely serious about, went on for close to a half hour! Even Little Sis got in on the action and was pointing at the various specks and calling them by name ("Hi Tink...Hi Tewwance (Terrance)”).

By the end, there were many fairies...Tink, Silver Mist and Terrance. Big Sis asked if she could drop a piece of sugar from her "puppy chow" she had for dessert and see if Tink would eat it. Sure enough, later it was "gone" (after Summer had been let out of her kennel ironically enough).

Big Sis was so excited to tell both Mimi and Daddy later that day about really "for real" seeing fairies...but that we think only kids can see them. Big Sis wants Daddy and I to write a letter that she can hand to Tinkerbell when we go to Disney to ask her if she visited our house. She told me later that day, sadly, "Mommy, none of my friends at school will believe me." I responded, "It doesn't matter...fairies only show themselves to those who believe."




No comments:

Post a Comment